Monday, March 28, 2011

A New Adventure!

We were at my parent’s house last night for dinner, and my mom surprised me by saying she had a sewing pattern for a maternity dress and fabric from when she was pregnant with me that she never used, and since I have a sewing machine now, would I like it? I was pretty surprised. First off, I didn’t know my mom sewed, really (well, considering she never made the dress, maybe she didn’t?!?). Second, I actually have no idea how to use the sewing machine at all.

The extent of my sewing knowledge is what I learned in Girl Guides, which is basically how to hand sew a badge to your sash. I have gotten by all these years by employing my very horribly limited hand-sewing talents to the jobs that arose. If anyone ever got a good look at the hem jobs I have done, they would be horrified; it looks like a 7 year old did it. When I moved to Alberta in Grade 9, I was forced to take a Home Economics class, which did include a sewing unit. I remember I made a pretty simple dress. I also remember that when it came time for the fashion show where all the students had to show off their projects, the straps on my dress came off from the shoddy job I did, and I had to emergency MacGuyver it with safety pins. My dress wasn’t even able to stay together for me to wear it once for 5 minutes. So sad. This experience was only slightly overshadowed by the Shop teacher telling me that I was perhaps the worst student to ever attempt the photography unit. Well, I win, because then they invented digital cameras, and I didn’t have to learn any of that crap, SO THERE! Victory is mine!!! Anyway…

So, when Hubby’s sister gave me the family’s old sewing machine, I thought it would be an awesome idea. I imagined myself sewing all these cool outfits, and a whole bunch of stuff for the baby, and having the hems on my pants actually straight. Well, I soon realized once I got the thing home that I have absolutely no idea how to use it. In fact, I don’t even know what I need to use it. I am assuming thread. But I seem to remember something about a bobbin from Home Ec, so that adds another dimension of mystery to it. Needless to say it has sat in the spare room and I haven’t even taken the cover off of it yet.

So this dress is the perfect opportunity, right? It’s a little dated, I admit, but vintage is totally in now, isn’t it? Here is the pattern (I will not be using the beautiful beach fabric, nor will I be making the blazer…let’s keep this simple).


I really think that my expectations are probably completely unrealistic about completing this dress in a wearable fashion. However, I am willing to try. It’s sort of cool that the dress my mom was going to wear while pregnant with me will be worn by me. That is, if I don’t end up like my mom. She got as far as pinning the pattern to the fabric. But hey, at least that step is done, right?!

I have this vision of me all gloriously and radiantly pregnant in the summer (if it ever comes…) with this awesome dress that I sewed and someone will approach me and  it will go like this:

Random admiring person on the street: “Where did you get such a fabulous dress?”
Me: “Oh, this little thing? My mom bought the pattern 30 years ago when she was pregnant with me, and I just whipped it together.”
Random admiring person walks away all envious because it’s so unique and vintage, and they will be flabbergasted at my amazing sewing skills.

In reality, it might end up more like this:

Mom: So, how did that dress make out
Me: I don’t want to talk about it

Or like this:

Random observer: What the heck are you wearing?!
Me: (thinking up a lie really quick) “Um, my 5 year old niece made it for me, and I didn’t want to hurt her feelings” (as I slowly slink away in shame)

So, I will attempt this little project, and I will keep you guys updated on my progress (or lack of). Wish me luck! Also, if anyone knows how to work a sewing machine, I would be much obliged if you could give me some pointers…like, what the heck a bobbin is, for starters.

6 comments:

  1. This is a comment from a completely random individual in Tennessee, this is perhaps the BEST blog EVER!

    Completely random

    ....I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so your Hubby's sister stole the required bobbin because she had already started a project with the thread on it. Didn't think of buying a new bobbin for myself. Wouldn't matter since I doubt your fabulous vintage fabric is chocolate brown. Next time you come up, bring the machine with you and we'll figure it out together. It's not too bad. Oh, you can look for some learn to sew classes where you bring in the project you're working on and they'll help you do it. We have them here in Edmonton so there must be some in Calgary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy. If you would like some help, I'd be happy to help you figure out the
    $&@/?! Bobbin. Call me!
    Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i started reading your blog... via a fb post from your brother.... and i cant stop smiling and laughing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoy it...we aim to please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something you might be surprised to know about me is that I am quite an accomplished sewer.....if you are still working on your project and need a helping hand just let me know. :)
    Great blog, you brought me back quite a few years. Thanks for the laughs.

    Ashlea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! They make my day!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...